Plow Pose (Halasana) :
For practicing this Plow Pose (Halasana) I would advise the Beginners to practice Legs-Up-The-Wall first for a few days. When they get habituated with this they can very gradually proceed towards this plow pose partially before they can do it fully provided they have the age and experience. In today’s lifestyle, where sitting much time bending forward in front of the computers, bending forwards ( students, teachers, office-goers, intellectuals etc.) is quite natural. This should, therefore, be practised very cautiously, in softer versions specially by these people !
Alert for Plow Pose:
- Should not Practice if you have problem and pain over your Neck Back and Lumbar areas.
- Should not have High Blood Pressure
- Don’t allow boys and girls to practice Plow pose before they are Twelve years old.
- Go for Softer Version as you proceed towards higher age.
- Should not be Overweight
- Should have proper Warm-Up Session prior to this Plow Pose.
- This should not be practiced by those having weak legs, hamstring muscles or calf muscles.
- Pregnant women, women during menstruation should avoid Plow pose.
- People with enlarged thyroid, spleen and liver should avoid this yoga pose as a lot of pressure is put at the lower abdomen during this pose (See Contraindications).
Image : Forms of Plow Pose (Halasana) This should be followed after shoulder stand. This Plow Pose should never be practiced singly. This is because of the fact that the body has to get properly conditioned before practicing this tough Plow Pose.